Sunday, November 13, 2011

Birthday Splurging and Yet Another Miserable Run.

Today is my birthday, but yesterday is when the celebrations began.  It started with what was supposed to be my first outdoors 9 mile run.  It ended up being one of the worst runs yet!  What is up with the shitty runs lately? I guess I'm going to have to figure out a way to weather the cold and wind better.  I'm just hoping that once I get new running gear (gloves, ear warmers, long sleeved Under Armour) that I'll be better able to handle the weather  since I really avoid the treadmill.   I had mapped my course out beforehand, but didn't know some of the roads so I wasn't prepared for what I faced.  I started out running a couple miles North and ended up in countryside.  I had made my course a nice square so as easy to remember where I was supposed to turn, but each side seemed to last for freaking ever.  As soon as I was surrounded by fields and farms the wind and cold assaulted me.  My theory is that there are not enough buildings and structures to provide any sort of shelter so I was instantly vulnerable to it.  Plus I have this running sweater that is an XL or an L and I now where between a S and XS.  I don't know if this is a mind thing, but I've noticed a difference from when I start running and when I get warmed up and tie it around my waist with the wind resistance.  But Friday it was just too dang cold to take it off!  Anyway, it was another miserable long, never ending run.  My stomach started cramping around mile 6.5, once I was finally back to society and I felt like I was going to be sick, so I stopped at a Subway to use their restroom.  While I was there my sister called, she was standing at my front door!  We had a communication malfunction regarding when she was supposed to pick me up.  At this point the fuck it switch had gone off in my head and I just wanted to be done with it, so I told her to meet me at a 7-11 that was a mile away.  Let me tell you something folks... if you want to improve your running speed, then go for an extra shitty run, then have the prospect of salvation just a mere mile away and have at it.  I flew to 7-11.   I'm certain I've never run that fast before, I estimated that it took me 7 or 8 minutes to get there, if that.  Once I got to 7-11, my sister wasn't in her car, I stood there, gasping for breath with the door open looking around, my sister said when she came out from the store that I looked terrified.  Perhaps I was just a tad terrified.  All I could think was "HOME" and my rescuer was nowhere in sight.

After that miserable 7.5 miles, we had a wonderful day!   I had a birthday lunch with my sister and dad and this really great little sandwich shop, then we went to pick up my birthday cookies.  We got enough for all my family and a couple friends.  I have a true and desperate love for One Smart Cookie's Iced Cutout cookies.  I had decided that since my birthday celebrations would be spread over the course of two days, then the first day would include a cookie and the second day would include cheesecake.  Here are the best sugar cookies ever:
So delicious.  I got one that said Happy Birthday on it with sugar crystals on top.  It was the size of my hand!  I have no clue what the calorie content is for one of those cookies, nor do I care, it was worth every calorie.  
I made the decision before that my goal was to be in the 120's by my birthday, which I had, in fact, I almost forgot, my weekly weigh in yesterday was 128!  One pound down!  Anyway, so I met my goal, should I gain a couple pounds over my birthday, it's no big deal, I know I'll lose it again and what better time to splurge than my birthday?  So then after celebrating with my siblings, my dad and his friend and Mark and I went to dinner at the Hideaway.  It was soooooooo good!  I love their Chicken Florentine pizza and had been craving it for awhile.  After dinner we headed to the comedy club.  I drank a fishbowl full of Long Island Iced Tea.  I definitely don't have the alcohol tolerance that I used to!  Let's just say I wasn't feeling my best this morning, but I truly had a blast last night.

This morning I got up early and went to the gym.  Even though I woke up early I was definitely dragging and didn't make it until Body Pump was half over, but at least I got that much in.  Many days I would have used being late as an excuse to not go, but I knew another day of celebration was ahead and that I'd feel a lot better if I worked out.  So I did half a class of Body Pump and a whole class of Zumba.  I intended to go for a short 30 minute run, as well.  But I think I did well considering I was suffering from a mild hangover.

Well I just spent 45 fucking minutes finishing this post and I'm sorry but I don't have the patience to do it all again.  I ended up having a decent birthday.  I had a fattening dinner, saw a spectacular presentation of The Wall, and ate cheesecake.  And today I get to do all the shit I do every Sunday, so no new news.  I do plan on going for a run here in a little bit, maybe help reverse any damage done.  I've got to get ready for Monday and a new week, and I'm really not looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment